As you may know from my previous article: Can’t Fight the Clipboard I had to move the chicken coop because I built it too close to the diesel pipeline that I just found out rolls through the back of our property.
The joys of homesteading. There is always a surprise around the corner. Moving the chicken coop was something I put off for some time actually. And because of the winter I’m writing this article late compared to when we actually moved the coop as well.
So my plan was to just jack up the bottom of the coop with 7 jacks. I jacked them up just enough to put resistance on the posts that were cemented in the ground. Next, I cut off each post as close as I could get to the ground. And finally, I jacked everything up higher so that I could attach sleds so I could pull the coop 10 feet.
It all went pretty smooth. That’s the first time I’ve ever moved anything of that size and I was impressed at how easy it went.
Naturally, I put out feelers online on Facebook and with friends to get some tips. Special thanks to Friendly Aquaponics for providing the general concept, Kent Bersuch who gave me some tips on where and how to pull it (turns out I hooked up too high on the legs), and last but not least thanks to John Gamm whom came over for a surprise visit when I was actually pulling the coop and gave me a hand. What would have taken me a month ended up taking me some good weather, a little planning, and a little hard work.
Click one of the pictures below to see the progress:
Leave a Reply